Monday, June 01, 2009

A Situation

So today I was sitting watching You've Got Mail when I heard a sound I thought was leaking water. I walked around the house looking for a puddle somewhere and found nothing, so I went back to watching the movie. About 30 minutes later I heard this sound again.....this led me to believe I was not as crazy as I was thinking I was. I start walking around the house again looking for the source of the noise when I see something moving on the floor out of the corner of my eye.

It was a bird! In the house! On the floor! AND I was home alone!

Those of you who know me know I HATE BIRDS! Needless to say this freaked me out, but at the same time I felt sorry for the bird. My first reaction was to text Catherine, she tried to convince me that I could help the bird by putting it in a box until my dad got home. I didn't like that idea as it involved me touching the bird, so I called Jackie....she did not answer her phone! I left her a message briefing her on my situation with strict instructions to call me back.

I couldn't sit in the house knowing the bird was in the next room so I found a box, a pair of my mom's gardening gloves and sat down in front of the TV to psych myself up for the challenge. 10 minutes later I walked over to help the bird.....I use the word help loosely in this case. With box ready in hand I reached down for the bird, but it started flapping around and got one birdie foot latched onto the side of my box. I tried to set the box down, but that meant putting the box on its tail feathers....this was no good. After 20 seconds or so the bird perched on the side of the box. By this point I was so traumatized I set the box down and let the bird be. I also decided I did not really want to be in the house with the bird so I proceeded outside to wash my car until my parents came home. 20 minutes later I walked back in and peeked around the corner to find the bird was no longer on the box! It had found a new perch on the toy chest.

When my parents came home my dad calmly walked over to the bird, cupped his hands around it, walked outside and let it fly away. If only I had inherited those genes.

5 comments:

Annalise said...

I didn't know you hate birds! That's funny. Sorry to laugh at your misery, but I couldn't help it! Hopefully this incident has done no permanent damage.

jenny said...

Hahahahaaaa I love this story because I can TOTALLY see you freaking out. And it makes me smile.

I could never touch a bird. Ever. I can't even prep chicken to eat.

Clay and Katy said...

oh i feel your pain...birds=scary.

i dont think i could have gone anywhere near it...you are brave to even attempt!

jtibs said...

I hope you don't get the bird flu from it! I had a similar experience with a frog once- got it caught in the a box but then it got out and I left cause I wanted someone else to deal with it. It disappeared till about a week later when I found its corpse under the couch.

Jacqueline said...

I totally called you back!! within a half an hour time frame. and left detailed instructions on how to handle the bird... I think my exact message was a good 5 minutes of laughing followed by "get a box, place it over the bird and either scoop it up or wait till someone gets home." I think that adequately covers all contingency plans.